2019 Novel Coronavirus
In December 2019, the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) emerged in the city of Wuhan, China. The novel coronavirus is a new strain of coronavirus that produces respiratory illness. This new virus is spreading around the world. On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic. Symptoms of COVID-19 range from mild to severe and can include fever, cough, difficulty breathing, pneumonia and kidney failure. In many cases, clients recover and in very severe cases, it may cause death.
The NSCRT is closely monitoring this rapidly evolving situation. The Board of Directors has approved a pandemic plan and established an Operation Emergency Team (OET) to execute the emergency response.
Respiratory Therapists have a critical role to play in the management of COVID-19 patients. The NSCRT is keeping abreast of this rapidly evolving situation and is committed to providing members with the most up to date information. For more information, follow the links below.
- NSCRT 2020 Pandemic Plan
- Duty to Provide Care
- Educational Resources
- NSCRT Practice Guideline Related to Respiratory Therapists’ Requirements for Minimizing the Spread of COVID-19
- *NEW* Approved NSCRT Recommendations for Respiratory Therapists in the Community Care and Clinic Setting
- COVID-19: Guidance for Health Care Sector
- NSHA Update on COVID-19 April 6, 2020
- Special Bulletin from the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health: 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) - Update March 11, 2020
- Order by the Medical Officer of Health under Section 32 of the Health Protection Act of 2014, c.4, s.1. (March 23, 2020)
- Government of Nova Scotia Information on COVID-19
- Province of Nova Scotia Coronavirus Alerts
- Government of Canada Information on COVID-19
- Government of Canada Information on COVID-19 for Health Professionals
- Nova Scotia Health Authority
- Information on self-isolation
- Live stream updates on COVID-19
- Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists: Coronavirus - What do RTs need to know?
- Information on testing: https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featured/heres-everything-you-need-to-know-about-covid-19-testing-in-nova-scotia/