Educated Outside Canada

To practice respiratory therapy in Nova Scotia, you must hold a certificate of registration (licence) as a Respiratory Therapist with the Nova Scotia College of Respiratory Therapists (NSCRT).

Please note that you may not work as a respiratory therapist, or in any way hold yourself out as a person qualified to practice respiratory therapy in the province of Nova Scotia until after your application for registration has been completed and have confirmed your registration (licence) by the NSCRT.

Applicants who have obtained their education in respiratory therapy or medicine with an anesthesia specialty outside of Canada are required to have their academic qualifications verified by World Education Services Canada (WES). WES will attest to the authenticity of the documents reviewed and prepare a coure-by-course evaluation report. WES will send the evaluation report to the NSCRT and to the applicant. The applicant is responsible for the cost of this report and will be charged directly by WES for its services. To have your academic qualifications attested by WES, please contact their evaluation team at

Applicants must complete the pre-registration assessment process. The pre-registration process will determine if you are eligible to write the registration examination (certification exam) which will allow you to apply for a licence and work in Nova Scotia as a respiratory therapist.

Respiratory Therapist educated or graduated from a respiratory therapy program outside Canada or - Health care professional educated outside of Canada in another related health care field of practice. Click here

Immigrating to Nova Scotia? Click here

Already in Nova Scotia? Click here

Contact Us

1959 Upper Water Street, Suite 1301
Halifax, Nova Scotia
B3J 3N2